Study programme code
Head of study programme
MER study programme code
Study programme version code
School / college
DT - School of Digital Technologies
Study programme title in Est.
study programme title in Engl.
Digital Library Learning
Language of instruction
en: Sotsiaalteadused, ajakirjandus ja teave
Study programme group
journalism and information
Study programme subgroup
en: Raamatukogundus, teave, arhiivindus
Nominal study period (in semesters)
Bachelor's level degree or diploma of professional higher education or a qualification equal thereto;
Statement of purpose in English (i.e. motivation, subject of interest, plans for study);
One to three letters of recommendation from persons who know the applicant personally;
English skills: applicants from non-English speaking countries must have passed either (a) IELTS (International English Language Testing System) (minimum score: 6.0 points) or (b) TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) (minimum score: 550 on the paper based test, 213 on the computer based test, or 80 on the Internet based test).
sotsiaalteaduse magister (digitaalraamatukogundus)
Study programme aims and objectives
- To support the formation of advanced knowledge and skills show more...
in the field of digital librarianship and create preconditions to implement these competencies in development of libraries in digital environment;
- to enhance the development of information professionals knowing principles and strategies of information management and best practices of digital libraries;
- to support the formation of science- and research-based approaches in information science, develop research skills in digital librarianship and create preconditions to continue th studies at PhD level.
Learning outcomes of the study programme
- has systematic and advanced knowledge on information science (including digital librarianship) terms, theories, approaches, models, methodology and best practices show more...
- knows information science (including digital librarianship) development trends, present day problems and solutions
- is acquainted with methods of information and knowledge management and human resource management and qualified to implement them in different types of organisations
- manages to implement approaches and strategies of different fields of information science, demonstrating initiative, responsibility, management and collaboration skills
- understands the relations of information science with other fields of research, to create interdisciplinary connections and implement scientific methods to analyse and evaluate information and knowledge processes
- is able of critical and systematic thinking, to formulate and solve problems in different fields of information science
- is able to work in ethically problematic situations being aware of ethical aspects, limitations and societal needs, and mediating grounded standpoints concerning information science and its different fields
- is competent to analyse one´s professional activities, to plan professional development and continue education in life-long learning using effective methods for individual studies
- possesses the learning skills to continue studies at PhD level, work as a qualified specialist, including in International level
In order to graduate, the student shall complete the study programme in the given volume, show more...
which includes passing all compulsory courses and compiling and defending the Master’s thesis or passing the Master’s examination. As an additional requirement for students who have been admitted until 2015/2016 the foreign language proficiency according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages shall correspond to C1 level, and their computer skills shall be sufficient for university studies.
Study programme version structure:
total ECTS credits