Study programme code
Head of study programme
MER study programme code
Study programme version code
School / college
FK - Baltic Film, Media, Arts and Communication School
Study programme title in Est.
Audiovisuaalkunstid ja meediauurigud
study programme title in Engl.
Audiovisual Arts and Media Studies
Language of instruction
Humanitaaria ja kunstid
Study programme group
Study programme subgroup
en: Audiovisuaalsed tehnikad ja meedia tootmine
Nominal study period (in semesters)
MA Degree or equivalent qualification; submitting a plan for the doctoral thesis and passing the admission exam.
Study programme aims and objectives
The main goal of the study programme is to create conditions show more...
for achieving professionalism in the field of audiovisual arts and media studies and for doing independent research and creative work at an internationally recognised level, including:
- to support research-oriented doctoral students in conducting independent doctoral research in contemporary media and communication culture studies, primarily in the fields of digital and audiovisual media, and in developing the necessary skills and knowledge to a high level;
- to support the realisation of creativity-based media and film projects as a practical doctoral research and develop the necessary skills and knowledge to a higl level;
An additional objective is to support the students’ preparation for careers in teaching and conducting research by developing the necessary pedagogical and research organisation competences.
Learning outcomes of the study programme
- has extensive knowledge and a systematic overview of the field of audiovisual arts and media studies and current in-depth knowledge in their narrower field of research show more...
- understands and is able to critically analyse specific problems and approaches of audiovisual culture and media studies in a broader cultural and social context
- is familiar with research directions in media, communication and audiovisual culture studies and is proficient in the research methods of the field, including creative research methods
- is able to present their reasoned research results orally or in writing when addressing both an academic or non-academic audience
- is able to impart their knowledge and skills through teaching and supervising
- is able to act independently in international arts and modern science, has the necessary management and teamwork skills and is able to make creative and strategically sustainable decisions in their research
- is able to independently formulate research problems, hypotheses and research questions in the field of media studies and audiovisual arts, initiate, plan and complete research or creative projects and see the implementation and development potential of the results of their empirical, analytical or creative research
- is able to initiate, design, conduct and critically analyse research and development in the field of audiovisual arts and media studies that lead to new knowledge or innovative artistic solutions
- is able to evaluate their own and other people's activities in the context of research ethics, understands the possibilities, limitations and social role of science and people's responsibility in the use of scientific achievements
- is able to assess the need for continued education and professional development on the personal level as well as more broadly in their field
The student shall complete the study programme in the intended volume and defend a PhD thesis. show more...
Additional requirements for the PhD thesis are stipulated in the Tallinn University Regulations for Doctoral Studies and Defence of PhD Theses.
Study programme version structure:
total ECTS credits