Course title in Estonian
Õpilase toetamine koolikeskkonnas
Course title in English
Supporting Students in School Environment
lecturer of 2021/2022 Spring semester
Triin Ulla (language of instruction:Estonian)
lecturer of 2022/2023 Autumn semester
lecturer not assigned
To shape a positive perception of the importance of the microclimate in the classroom and in school.
To provide knowledge about the regular aspects of the social and emotional development of basic school students.
To shape an appreciative attitude to work with students who have learning and behavioural difficulties.
To create opportunities for the development of knowledge of working in the classroom with students with learning and behavioural difficulties.
To shape readiness to adapt teaching according to the needs of the students.
Brief description of the course
The school as an organisation. The school climate and its impact on the student's coping at school. Development of the class as a group. Management of group processes. Social relationships and identity of teenagers. Motivating students. Prevention and resolution of conflicts. Reasons for and manifestation of learning and behavioural difficulties. Early detection. Principles of coping with learning and behavioural difficulties. Taking into account learning and behavioural difficulties in the classroom. Adaptation of teaching materials in accordance with the specific nature of students.
Learning outcomes in the course
Upon completing the course the student:
- is prepared to design a positive microclimate in the class;
- is familiar with the basic principles of the social and emotional development of primary school students;
- is aware of the measures set in the Basic and Upper Secondary School Act to support students’ behaviour;
- is able to differentiate students that have learning and behavioural difficulties from other students whose development is age-appropriate;
- is able to implement the principles of subject-specific teaching in accordance with the learning and behavioural difficulties of students;
- is able create teaching materials in accordance with the specific nature of students.
M. Normak (MA), H. Puksand (PhD)
Study programmes containing that course