Course title in Estonian
Praktika lasteasutuses III
Course title in English
Practice III in Child Care Institutions
approximate amount of contact lessons
lecturer of 2018/2019 Spring semester
Evelyn Neudorf (inglise keel)
lecturer of 2019/2020 Autumn semester
lecturer not assigned
To facilitate students becoming familiar with Estonian as a second language or multilingual learning/teaching opportunities and organisation of teaching and education activities for children speaking different languages as their first language in preschool child care institutions. To provide opportunities to implement methods of teaching Estonian as a second language or methods of multilingual teaching (including language immersion) and to learn the principles of monitoring children's language development.
Brief description of the course
To become familiar with the organisation of work in a kindergarten group and teaching of Estonian as a second language, to observe and analyse the teaching and educational activities carried out by the teacher(s) (team planning, different language teachers complimenting one another's work, music and movement teachers' role in the teaching and educational activities of a multilingual group). To observe and analyse the learning environment set-up and tools provided to facilitate children's language development. To plan and carry out educational activities in cooperation with the teacher(s) of a group while taking into account children's individual characteristics and developmental needs in planning activities. To create a learning game or design a tool for language learning activities. To become familiar with the principles of monitoring children's language development in a multilingual/language immersion group.
• To fulfil the tasks set in the timetable;
• to guide and control children's play;
• to organise movement games and children's activities while children are outdoors;
• to participate in the events and meetings of a child care institution.
As independent work, a trainee teacher prepares a traineeship portfolio, which includes an analysis of the trainee's activities, an analysis of the learning environment and tools, a plan of activities and its analysis, an analysis of the assessment of children's language development and their own self-reflection sheet.
Learning outcomes in the course
- draws up a group teacher work plan, taking into account the specificity of the group, the objectives of the curriculum and the integration of subjects;
- chooses reasonable methods for teaching and learning based on the objectives, using relevant literature and tools for teaching Estonian as a second language (suitable for language immersion in a kindergarten);
- analyses the environment and tools for Estonian as a second language or for multilingual teaching;
- creates a learning environment that is mentally and emotionally safe for children, supporting their well-being, development and cooperation and based on the learners' needs and learning objectives;
- implements methods facilitating language learning and uses age-appropriate games;
- provides an overview of the principles of monitoring children's language development and assessment methods in a multilingual children's group and immersion group;
- analyses their work as a teacher, taking into account the characteristics of a particular group.
Pass- fail Assessment
Lektor Kerstin Kööp
The course is a prerequisite
Kakskeelne laps (2005). C. Baker. El Paradiso.
Koolieelse lasteasutuse seadus (1999). RT I. 27, 387.
Koolieelse lasteasutuse riiklik õppekava (2008). RT I. 23, 152.
Lapse arengu hindamine ja toetamine (2009). Koost. E. Kulderknup. Tallinn: Studium.
Pedagoogiline praktika lasteaias. Abimaterjal üliõpilasele ja juhendajale (2010). Tallinn: OÜ Vali Press.
Õppe- ja kasvatustegevuse korraldus (2009). Koost. E. Kulderknup. Tallinn: Studium.
Õppe- ja kasvatustegevuse valdkonnad (2009). Koost. E. Kulderknup. Tallinn: Studium.
Keelekümblusprogrammi abimaterjalid http://kke.innove.ee/abiks-opetajale/abimaterjalid
Praktikat ei kanta üle VÕTA-ga.(Haridusteaduste instituudi nõukogu otsus 1-6/34, 12.03.2018; praktikad hõlmavad koolieelse lasteasutuse õpetaja tegevust vastavalt kutsestandardile ja pidevat enesenalüüsi. Õpingute lõpetamisel omistatakse Õpetaja kutse tase 6, mis eeldab praktikate läbimist).
Õppimine ja õpetamine koolieelses eas (2008). Toim E. Kikas. Tartu Ülikool. Tartu.
Kinos, J., Pukk (2010). M. Lapsest lähtuv kasvatus. Tea Kirjastus. Tallinn.