Course title in Estonian
Õppimine kõrgkoolis: sissejuhatus humanitaariasse
Course title in English
Studying at the University: Introduction to the Humanities
approximate amount of contact lessons
lecturer of 2019/2020 Autumn semester
lecturer not assigned
lecturer of 2019/2020 Spring semester
lecturer not assigned
To provide opportunities for understanding university studies and self-management as a university student. To create conditions for developing skills necessary for successful study. To get acquainted with speciality modules.
Brief description of the course
The course consists of two main parts: general university study skills ja toipcal issues (motivation; planning a career; time management; information resources; academic culture, referencing and plagiarism) and module-specific topics in the humanities. Each lecture associated with a specific module is conducted by a lecturer representing that module, to provide an overview of topical issues for this speciality and inspire students to pass the module in full. The course also contains a degree of field work (visiting museums and events), followed by analytical and practical activities.
Reading, written assignments (course portfolio).
Learning outcomes in the course
The student who has passed the course
- is able to manage their own studies; understands the special character of studying at the university;
- is able to plan their study path and career; analyse and improve their academic progress;
- is able to use information resources, including electronic databases;
- understands academic culture, including principles of authorship and research culture and follows these in their studies, including written and oral work;
- has got an insight into different speciality-related modules and is ready to choose a field for more specific specialisation.
Course portfolio in Moodle
dotsent Julia Tofantšuk
MLA Handbook; õppejõudude antud lisamaterjal.
texts provided by the lecturers
Study skills for international students / Jonathan Weyers, Kathleen
How to write essays & assignments / Kathleen McMillan and Jonathan Weyers
The smarter study skills companion / Kathleen McMillan and
Essential study skills: the complete guide to success at university /
Tom Burns, Sandra Sinfield