Course title in Estonian
Course title in English
Chinese Tea Culture
approximate amount of contact lessons
autumn - spring
lecturer of 2020/2021 Autumn semester
õppejõud on määramata
lecturer of 2020/2021 Spring semester
lecturer not assigned
The aim of the course is to give to students a knowledge about Chinese tea culture, its history, and etiquette and philosophy of tea ceremony.
Brief description of the course
The course gives the students knowledge about the history of tea, the many varieties of tea, its production process, proper preparation with correct tea tools and tea-drinking etiquette. Equipped with the basic knowledge about tea, the wisdom and philosophy behind Chinese tea rituals will be discussed in the class. The course consists of 28 hours of contact lessons which include 2 workshops. It also requires some home reading and practice.
The student is expected to read individually the compulsory literature at home and finish homework on time. In addition, hands on practice is required.
Learning outcomes in the course
Upon successful completion of the course the student
• knows and is able to give an overview of the history of tea
• is able to give examples of various kinds of tea
• is able to describe the process of tea manufactoring
• is able to describe in detail the etiquette of tea-drinking and the rituals of tea ceremony
• knows how to make Chinese teas from different classifications in correct ways
The assessment includes two parts:
1. Participating in the workshops and independently completing the tasks in the
2. Final essay about student’s understanding of Chinese tea culture: 75%