Study programme code
Head of study programme
MER study programme code
Study programme version code
School / college
YK - School of Governance, Law and Society
Study programme title in Est.
study programme title in Engl.
Language of instruction
Tervis ja heaolu
Study programme group
Study programme subgroup
en: Sotsiaaltöö ja nõustamine
Nominal study period (in semesters)
Bachelor´s Degree, Diploma of Professional Higher Education or a corresponding qualification. show more...
Passing the admission examination (interview). The admission examination demonstrates how well the candidate is aware of social problems, societal and cultural issues. Candidates submit to the institute before the interview (70% of admission examination) their CV and letter of motivation (30% admission examination). The minimum positive result of master studies admission examination is 70 points. The admission takes place on the bases of ranking that is formed according to the results of the admission examination.
sotsiaalteaduse magister (sotsiaaltöö)
Study programme aims and objectives
- Create professional field-specific knowledge for understanding and carrying out social work and social policy on a deeper level, at the background of international experience;
- Create preconditions for the formation of systemic and broad knowledge, skills and value judgements that enable carrying out, planning and organising social work in different areas of social work for different target groups;
- Create preconditions for the planning, execution and critical evaluation of research in social work and social policy and for the implementation of the results that were received;
- Create preconditions for the reflection of one’s work, for analysis and generalisation supporting through that constant professional development;
- Create readiness for carrying out professional client work in different areas of social work following social work ethics and qualification standard;
- Create preconditions for continuing studies at doctoral level
Learning outcomes of the study programme
- is aware of social work theories and methods and is able to implement those in various areas, developement and managing in social work show more...
- bases on the principles of social work values and ethics, is tolerant and accepts the cultural specifics of client
- has in-depth knowledge and skills for social work in specialized area
- is able to analyze critically social processes and to plan and implement interventions
- is motivated to be engaged in creating and implementing social policy
- is able to plan and implement research in social work and to use research results creatively in development
- is able and motivated to reflect critically the professional actions and to continue professional growth
In order to graduate, the student shall complete the study programme in the given volume, show more...
which includes passing all compulsory courses and compiling and defending the Master’s thesis. Students who have not graduated from upper secondary schools where Estonian is the language of instruction, or who have graduated from schools where Estonian is only partly the language of instruction, are required to have Estonian language proficiency at C1 level.
As an additional requirement for students who have been admitted until 2015/2016, the foreign language proficiency according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages shall correspond to B2 level, in case of students of distant and cyclical learning to B1 level, and their computer skills shall be sufficient for university studies. Since the admission of year 2016 students are required to pass during the studies at least one course which uses a foreign language as the language of instruction
Study programme version structure:
total ECTS credits