Study programme code
Head of study programme
MER study programme code
Study programme version code
School / college
YK - School of Governance, Law and Society
Study programme title in Est.
study programme title in Engl.
Government and Administration
Language of instruction
en: Sotsiaalteadused, ajakirjandus ja teave
Study programme group
Study programme subgroup
en: Poliitikateadus ja kodanikuõpetus
Nominal study period (in semesters)
Bachelor´s Degree, Diploma of Professional Higher Education show more...
or a corresponding qualification
sotsiaalteaduse magister (riigiteadused)
Study programme aims and objectives
- Creating prerequisites for development of modern officials show more...
who are both scientifically competent and skilled and who are able to work effectively as managers and experts in the governing structures of Estonia, European Union and other sector organisations;
- Creating prerequisites for a wide-range knowledge base for developing the skills and knowledge necessary for specialising in different fields of governmental sciences (governance, public policy, management, public law, public sector economics, public and private sector partnership and European studies);
- Developing in-depth knowledge on the different theories and directions in the field of governmental sciences; developing skills for planning research and applying results;
- Creating the prerequisites for continuing studies on the PhD level;
Learning outcomes of the study programme
- is familiar with the concepts and different fields of governmental sciences and economics and understands the discourses of competing theoretical concepts show more...
- can independently discover and delineate governance and economy issues and what is necessary to analyse them
- can design collections of empirical data for the purpose of solving the research problem and systemise it and independently prepare and carry out small-scale research on different levels and dimensions of governance
- has the capacity to work on positions requiring governmental science knowledge
- has the capacity to continue their studies in PhD programs in Estonia and Europe
In order to graduate, the student shall complete the study programme in the given volume, show more...
which includes passing all compulsory courses and compiling and defending the Master’s thesis. Students who have not graduated from upper secondary schools where Estonian is the language of instruction, or who have graduated from schools where Estonian is only partly the language of instruction, are required to have Estonian language proficiency at C1 level.
As an additional requirement for students who have been admitted until 2015/2016, the foreign language proficiency according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages shall correspond to B2 level, in case of students of distant and cyclical learning to B1 level, and their computer skills shall be sufficient for university studies. Since the admission of year 2016 students are required to pass during the studies at least one course which uses a foreign language as the language of instruction.
Study programme version structure:
total ECTS credits