Study programme code
Head of study programme
MER study programme code
Study programme version code
School / college
YK - School of Governance, Law and Society
Study programme title in Est.
study programme title in Engl.
Language of instruction
en: Sotsiaalteadused, ajakirjandus ja teave
Study programme group
Study programme subgroup
en: Poliitikateadus ja kodanikuõpetus
Nominal study period (in semesters)
Bachelor´s Degree, Diploma of Professional Higher Education or a corresponding qualification . English proficiency at the B 2 level is required.
Entrance exam: written motivation letter and oral interview.
sotsiaalteaduse magister (rahvusvahelised suhted)
Study programme aims and objectives
- To support the development of academic excellence, competence and critical thinking in IR;
- To create the pre-requisite for acquiring the competence for working in positions that require the knowledge of international politics and international relations;
-To create the pre-requisite for developing a wide range of knowledge of skills that makes it possible to specialise in different international relations fields in doctoral studies or forward a career in other academic fields;
- To help develop the skills needed for research and implementing research in the field of international relations.
Learning outcomes of the study programme
- knows international relations concepts and understands the relevant theoretical bases and the workings of different levels and parts show more...
- is able to successfully read and analyse academic texts, knows international relations literature and knows how to find the needed materials
- is able to independently locate and limit problems and systemise the analysis devices necessary
- is able to collect and systemise empirical data in order to solve research problems; and is able to independently prepare and carry out small-scale scientific and other research in the field of international politics
- has competence in working in different positions requiring international relations knowledge and is able to continue their studies in doctoral programs in Europe
In order to graduate, the student shall complete the study programme in the given volume, show more...
which includes passing all compulsory courses and compiling and defending the Master’s thesis. As an additional requirement for students who have been admitted until 2015/2016 the foreign language proficiency according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages shall correspond to C1 level.
International students matriculated since Academic Year 2020/2021 must receive a positive result for course EKY6109.HT Estonian A1 and Estonian culture in order to fulfill the graduation requirements. The International student is a student without Estonian citizenship, long-term residence permit or permanent right of residence.
Study programme version structure:
total ECTS credits