Study programme code
Head of study programme
MER study programme code
Study programme version code
School / college
YK - School of Governance, Law and Society
Study programme title in Est.
study programme title in Engl.
Language of instruction
en: Sotsiaalteadused, ajakirjandus ja teave
Study programme group
Study programme subgroup
en: Poliitikateadus ja kodanikuõpetus
Nominal study period (in semesters)
Bachelor´s Degree, Diploma of Professional Higher Education or a corresponding qualification in Social Sciences; Admission exam: motivation letter, show more...
BA thesis and review, interview.
sotsiaalteaduse magister (politoloogia)
Study programme aims and objectives
- To provide thorough knowledge of politics from Estonian and show more...
international perspective; capability and knowledge about politics in Estonia and Public Administration which could help in deleloping those areas;
- to establish premises to continue studies in doctoral studies;
- To contribute to the development of democratic political culture in Estonia
Learning outcomes of the study programme
- knows the basic political science concepts and fields and understands connecting theoretical discussions show more...
- has in-depth knowledge on the different workings of all the levels and connections between institutions; the connections between citizens and institutions and can relate the communication between the two
- can independently discover and delineate political issues and what is necessary to analyse them
- can design the empirical data collections necessary for solving research issues, systemise and independently prepare and carry out small scientific or other research on political issues related to different levels and dimensions of politics
- has the capacity to work on positions requiring political science knowledge and to continue their studies in PhD programs in Estonia and Europe
In order to graduate, the student shall complete the study programme in the given volume, show more...
which includes passing all compulsory courses and compiling and defending the Master’s thesis. Students who have not graduated from upper secondary schools where Estonian is the language of instruction, or who have graduated from schools where Estonian is only partly the language of instruction, are required to have Estonian language proficiency at C1 level.
As an additional requirement for students who have been admitted until 2015/2016, the foreign language proficiency according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages shall correspond to B2 level, in case of students of distant and cyclical learning to B1 level, and their computer skills shall be sufficient for university studies. Since the admission of year 2016 students are required to pass during the studies at least one course which uses a foreign language as the language of instruction.
Study programme version structure:
total ECTS credits