Study programme code
Head of study programme
MER study programme code
Study programme version code
School / college
HR - School of Educational Sciences
Study programme title in Est.
study programme title in Engl.
Early Childhood Education
Language of instruction
Study programme group
teacher training and educational science
Study programme subgroup
en: Koolieelikute õpetajate koolitus
Nominal study period (in semesters)
An applicant must have a Bachelor´s degree in Educational Science or an equivalent level of preparation. show more...
For admission a student must pass an exam.
haridusteaduse magister (alushariduse pedagoog)
Study programme aims and objectives
- To create opportunities for broad analysis of international trends in early childhood education in the context of educational sciences and educational policy;
- to support the development of readiness for analysis of theoretical concepts of management and counseling in preschool establishment;
- to support the development of professionalism as an early childhood education teacher in activities of preschool establishments, management of learning and educational activities and in guiding personal development;
- to create preconditions for continuing studies at a Doctoral level.
Learning outcomes of the study programme
- is familiar with local and international trends in educational sciences and educational policies, and has a systematic overview of leadership and counselling theories show more...
- knows how to manage activities in pre-school educational establishments, plan organisational development and evaluate the effectiveness of these activities
- knows how to plan and manage educational and teaching activities in pre-school educational establishments and evaluate its quality in the context of children, teachers and organisational development
- knows how to create a favourable environment for child development according to individual or special needs of the child
- can counsel parents and colleagues in teaching and educational matters
- is familiar with international scientific research in the area of pre-school education, is able to conduct professional educational scientific research and formulate it into scientific thesis
- can plan, analyse and reflect upon one´s professional development as a pre-school teacher
- is able to continue studies at a Doctoral level
In order to graduate, the student shall complete the study programme in the given volume, show more...
which includes passing all compulsory courses and compiling and defending the Master’s thesis. Students who have not graduated from upper secondary schools where Estonian is the language of instruction, or who have graduated from schools where Estonian is only partly the language of instruction, are required to have Estonian language proficiency at C1 level.
Since the admission of year 2016 students are required to pass during the studies at least one course which uses a foreign language as the language of instruction.
Study programme version structure:
total ECTS credits