Study programme code
Head of study programme
MER study programme code
Study programme version code
School / college
HT - School of Humanities
Study programme title in Est.
study programme title in Engl.
Language of instruction
en: Sotsiaalteadused, ajakirjandus ja teave
Study programme group
Study programme subgroup
en: Sotsioloogia ja kulturoloogia
Nominal study period (in semesters)
Secondary School Leaving Certificate, Certificate of Vocational Secondary Education or a corresponding qualification giving access to higher education.
Admission is based on the results of national exams and the vocational aptitude exam.
Study programme aims and objectives
- to ensure preparation for comprehension and research in the fields of anthropology;
- to create opportunities for acquisition of basic knowledge in humanities and social sciences bordering anthropology;
- enable specialization in archaeology or social and cultural anthropology and ensure diverse specialized learning possibilities in these subject fields;
- to support the acquisition of the necessary knowledge to conduct fieldwork in social and cultural anthropology or archaeology;
- to create the preconditions for applying the knowledge and skills acquired during the studies in specialized research as well as in non-academic positions;
- to prepare students for continuation of their studies in a Master’s program in anthropology or a related discipline (sociology, cultural theory, intercultural communication etc);
- to create preconditions for continuation or complementation of studies at foreign universities.
Learning outcomes of the study programme
- has an understanding of cultural diversity and appreciates the role of anthropological sciences in researching it show more...
- is able to see the relevance and potential of anthropological research in resolving, understanding and analyzing global problems
- is competent in communicating knowledge orally and in writing in formats acknowledged in the academic world
- has broad knowledge about the essence, goals and different fields of anthropology and related disciplines
- is able to raise questions and issues related to anthropology, to analyze and provide solutions to these questions
- can continue studies at Master´s level in the same field, another field of anthropology or a similar discipline at universities in Estonia or abroad
In order to graduate, the student shall complete the study programme in the given volume, show more...
which includes passing all compulsory courses and compiling and defending the Bachelor’s thesis. Students who have not graduated from upper secondary schools where Estonian is the language of instruction, or who have graduated from schools where Estonian is only partly the language of instruction, are required to have Estonian language proficiency at C1 level.
As an additional requirement for students who have been admitted until 2015/2016, the foreign language proficiency according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages shall correspond to B2 level, in case of students of distant and cyclical learning to B1 level, and their computer skills shall be sufficient for university studies.
Study programme version structure:
total ECTS credits
+ MAIN SPECIALITY: Anthropology
+ MINOR FIELD OF STUDY MODULE: Anthropology
- To provide conditions to gain primary knowledge on different research areas of anthropology and the current research topics both in Estonia and worldwide;
- Create conditions enabling to the possibility to gain knowledge concerning the development of anthropology as a research discipline;
- Provide conditions for developing of knowledge in the field of cultural anthropology;
- Provide pre-requisites to develop critical and analytical skills in anthropology;
- To create understanding of the traditions of regional anthropological study and its contemporary trends;
- Provide conditions to gain an overview of the peoples, cultures, history and their current status;
- Provide conditions to develop knowledge based on anthropology of experience and adjacent fields;
- Provide conditions for gaining knowledge in the field of political-economical analysis of culture.
Student will have:
- Ability to understand the social, linguistic and cultural versatility of the human race both in the past and present, show more...
and the biological versatility and the role of evolution in the development of the human race;
- Ability to analyse critically the nature of anthropological knowledge and its development;
- Knowledge about the traditions of regional anthropological research and its current trends;
- Thorough knowledge concerning culture, development and the current situation of at least one region;
- Ability to understand the dynamics between an individual and society within a concrete cultural and historical context;
- Understanding of cultures and customs of other countries;
- Knowledge of anthropology of experience and of the adjacent fields;
- Ability to analyse culture using political-economic perspectives.
approximate amount of contact lessons