Study programme code
Head of study programme
MER study programme code
Study programme version code
School / college
HT - School of Humanities
Study programme title in Est.
study programme title in Engl.
Language of instruction
Humanitaaria ja kunstid
Study programme group
languages and cultures
Study programme subgroup
en: Kirjandus ja lingvistika
Nominal study period (in semesters)
Bakalaureusekraad or an equivalent level of qualification.
Admission is based on the results of the vocational aptitude exam. .
humanitaarteaduse magister (kirjandusteadus)
Study programme aims and objectives
- To provide ability to get field-related specific knowledge show more...
of literary studies for both BA students who majored in Estonian philology as well as BA students who majored in other humanities;
- To provide enhanced knowledge in the field of literary theory, literary criticism, literary history and comparative literature;
- To provide competences that allow employment in Estonian cultural areas as a literary critic, counselor on literature, cultural or literary editor at press or at publishing houses;
- To provide educational background that allows to take the option of doctoral studies and academic research career as a lecturer or a literary scholar.
Learning outcomes of the study programme
- possesses the knowledge of literary theory, literary criticism, literary history and comparative literature show more...
- possesses knowledge of the systematic overview of the theories and methodologies used in literary science
- has the skill to use acquired knowledge in producing creative and analytical text and is able to write literary criticism
- has the appropriate skill to write literary-scientific articles and research papers
- understands the connection between different fields of culture and has the ability to actively participate in Estonian cultural and literary life
In order to graduate, the student shall complete the study programme in the given volume, show more...
which includes passing all compulsory courses and compiling and defending the Master’s thesis. Students who have not graduated from upper secondary schools where Estonian is the language of instruction, or who have graduated from schools where Estonian is only partly the language of instruction, are required to have Estonian language proficiency at C1 level.
As an additional requirement for students who have been admitted until 2015/2016, the foreign language proficiency according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages shall correspond to B2 level and their computer skills shall be sufficient for university studies. Since the admission of year 2016 students are required to pass during the studies at least one course which uses a foreign language as the language of instruction.
Study programme version structure:
total ECTS credits